Señor Jordan's Spanish Videos » Blog Archive » 02 – Reflexive Verbs (part 2) Stem-changers

02 – Reflexive Verbs (part 2) Stem-changers

Posted by Señor Jordan on Sep 30, 2008 in conjugation, grammar, year 2 |

This video is a continuation of part 1 on reflexive verbs.  In this video, we also go over four new verbs that are reflexives dealing with the daily routine, but are also stem-changers (or ‘shoe verbs’).  The rule of stem-changers is reviewed in this video.

Hope it’s helpful!  Feel free to leave questions, comments, or suggestions!  :-)

useful verbs:

(Yo) me cepillo los dientes. – I brush my teeth.
¿Te levantas temprano? – Do you get up early?

acostarse (o-ue) – to go to bed, to put oneself to bed
bañarse – to bathe onself, take a bath
cepillarse – to brush oneself
despertarse (e-ie) – to wake oneself up
dormirse (o-ue) – to fall asleep
lavarse – to wash oneself
levantarse - to get/lift oneself up,
secarse – to dry oneself
vestirse (e-i) – to dress oneself

¿A qué hora ____? – (At) What time?
a la medianoche – at midnight
a las doce - at twelve o’clock
de la manana – in the morning

*Author’s note* to say midnight with ‘a las doce‘ it might be more common to hear ‘a las doce de la noche‘ (at twelve o’clock at night)

——————————
Related video(s):

1. Reflexive verbs (part 1)
  2. Reflexive verbs (part 3) Multiple verbs + ing
  3. Antes de / Después de + verb (part 2) w/ reflexives

Tags: , , , , , ,

Shelia
Dec 16, 2008 at 10:45 am

Senor Jordan:

You translated “We fall asleep” into “Nosotros nos acostamos” in the exercise of this lesson. does “acostarse” mean “mormirse”, too?

Shelia

Señor Jordan
Dec 16, 2008 at 10:58 am

Shelia,
Ay ay ay…. Gracias. For ‘We go to sleep’, it should be ‘nosotros nos dormimos’. You’re correct.

I think I did that because in either language, I don’t always distinguish between ‘falling asleep’ and ‘going to bed’ since when I go to bed, I fall asleep even though they are two distinct things!

-Sr J.

VickyDelgada
Mar 4, 2010 at 4:48 pm

Amazing help!! I’m studying at the University of Toronto and I use your videos for studying. I’m not a textbook learner and I learn much better with your visuals.Thanks so much!!

Jonathon Rank
Mar 13, 2010 at 7:24 pm

My wife doesnt speak english and I dont speak Spanish. This could be the help that saves our family. Gracias

Andy Stewart
Oct 29, 2010 at 10:30 am

Your vids are super cool…I will praise you up more on this at a later date,
however, I can’t stop laughing at your obvious reference to ‘Mr Mackey’ from Southpark… …Mmkaaay.. This is way funny and cool that you are including this in your presentations …’Mmkaaay..

Check out the link below..

Andy (UK-Living in Spain)

Jimmy
Dec 19, 2010 at 1:04 pm

Could you say “Yo capillo mis dientes” instead of “Yo me capillo los dientes”
Thanks.

Señor Jordan
Dec 29, 2010 at 1:28 pm

Jimmy,
(yo) cepillo mis dientes” is a literal translation from English. It makes sense from an English speaker’s perspective. But you have to be aware that Spanish has different structures because it is a different language.

(yo) Me cepillo los dientes” is the preferred structure.

-Sr. J

Edbert
Feb 13, 2012 at 2:15 am

i know this has nothing to the video, i am sorry but you know this thing here

mío
tuyo
suyo
nuestro
suyo

What is the one for vosotros and vosotras?