Señor Jordan's Spanish Videos » Blog Archive » 02 – Reflexive verbs (part 1)

02 – Reflexive verbs (part 1)

Posted by Señor Jordan on Sep 30, 2008 in conjugation, grammar, year 2 |

In this video lesson we’ll be going over verbos reflexivos, or ‘reflexive verbs’.  In this particular video, the reflexive verbs are those in which a person does the action to them self.  They are conjugated a little differently only because of the -se on the end.  This video lesson is a little more advanced.  Enjoy!

Feel free to leave any questions, comments, or suggestions below!  ¡Gracias!

Verb charts:

llamar -  to call
(Yo) Llamo por teléfono.
- I call on the telephone
llamarse – to call oneself
(Yo) Me llamo
– I call myself
mis amigos – my friends
hablar – to talk
hablarse - to talk to oneself

me - me, myself
te - you, yourself
se – himself, herself, yourself (formal), themselves, yourselves (plural)
nos – ourselves

los dientes – teeth
la cara - face
el pelo – hair

levantarse – to get oneself up, to lift oneself up
lavarse – to wash oneself
cepillarse – to brush oneself
secarse – to dry oneself
bañarse - to bathe oneself
despertarse (e-ie) – to wake oneself up
vestirse (e-i) – to dress oneself, get dressed
acostarse (o-ue) – to put oneself to bed, to go to bed
dormirse (o-ue) – to fall asleep

——————————–

Related video(s):

1. Reflexive verbs (part 2) Stem-Changers
  2. Reflexive verbs (part 3) Multiple verbs + ing
  3. Antes de / Después de + verb (part 2) w/ reflexives

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

Amanda
Jun 18, 2009 at 4:39 pm

You did an excellent job explaining what the reflexive was. Thank you.

Señor Jordan
Jun 18, 2009 at 5:30 pm

¡Gracias! Y de nada.

Kelli
Dec 25, 2009 at 6:18 pm

Hola
Thank you SO much for recording these videos, you are an amazing teacher! I am just curious, how long did it take for you to become fluent? Also, I am very overwhelmed by all the conjugating that is required for learning Spanish. I pretty much understand what each tense is for, all 14, and how to conjugate regular verbs. BUT, is there a study technique that is less tedious for remembering the irregulars in all 14? I have literally buried myself in my “501 Spanish Verb book,” and still have trouble. Thank you again for all you are doing, this is an awesome website!!

Wootsat
Apr 2, 2010 at 8:50 pm

Wonderful videos Senor Jordan, gracias! I have a quick question, how would you say something like “I wash your face”? Me lavo la cara would be “I wash my face”… would “Te lavo la cara” be “I wash your face”? But I know you said whenever the verb is in the yo form like lavo is in this instance, it has to have strictly ‘me’. Thanks!

Enrique
May 5, 2010 at 1:18 pm

Your video production and teaching methods are outstanding, and for some reason I feel guilty receiving them for free. Thank you!

I understand your example of, “Me lavo la cara.”

Why is, “Lavo mi cara” incorrect?

Señor Jordan
May 5, 2010 at 1:27 pm

Thanks for your question.
If we’re going for meaning, someone would understand you if you say “Lavo mi cara”

It’s not to say that ‘Lavo mi cara’ is incorrect… for example, if you were to look around here, for the phrase ‘lavo mi cara’ or ‘lavo mi rostro’ (both meaning ‘I wash my face’), you would find them here by native Spanish speakers.
However, you’d more commonly see ‘me lavo la cara’; ‘me seco la cara’ and such phrases with the reflexive pronoun (me) and without the possessive pronoun (mi).

It’s the normal tendency of the language. Also, note that the video was teaching ‘reflexive verbs’ and therefore, the ‘me lavo’ follows that pattern. ;-)

I hope that helped!

-Sr. Jordan

P.S. you also might notice that some of the entries use ‘b’ instead of ‘v’ for ‘lavo’ because of the lack of difference in sound in Spanish and therefore the confusion in spelling for Spanish speakers.

Ana Sahagún
Mar 14, 2011 at 5:17 am

¡Saludos Sr. Jordan! Gracias por los videitos. Son muy lindos. Me encantaría que hicieras un videito saludando a mis alumnos de Martin County High School. Sería muy lindo. :)

rosalie tijamo
Apr 5, 2011 at 12:47 pm

Hola! Senor Jordan! Soy una Filipina tengo poco vocabulario de Espanol. Cuando fue es nina, me escuche hablan en el Espanol mi abuelo y abuela. Soy feliz que me da (or dio?) usted lecciones en el verbos reflexivo. Estoy sientando ( is this correct for sitting?) aqui enfrente a su video y ahora doy le gracias a ti. Muchas gracias otra vez y mas poderte.

Goshhhhhhhhh……don’t I sound funny Senor Jordan….this is my first attempt to communicate in written Spanish…ugh…I hope you will correct my errors here.

sinceramente,

Dama de Noche

Dave Kramer
Feb 4, 2012 at 8:00 am

I am trying to teach myself spanish for 3 years. Your videos and website have been invaluable. Please don’t ever stop. My appreciation and I’m sure of many others are beyond words.

Dave Kramer, MD

Jean Weingartner
Jun 30, 2012 at 2:37 pm

I love the videos–thanks! They are a great way to learn and to review. I just wish each video had a worksheet. Do you know if they are coming??? Thanks

Victoria
Nov 29, 2012 at 8:04 pm

The way you teach is even better than the Spanish courses in Florida Virtual School!

Kelly
Dec 7, 2012 at 10:37 am

Hi, why dont you use vosotros in your conjugation? Thanks

Cyn
Mar 14, 2013 at 10:47 pm

Kelly – because Spanish spoken in most North, Central, and South American countries don’t use that verb form. This is the type of Spanish he speaks.

E.Gaither
Oct 29, 2013 at 6:03 pm

Jordan,
Thank you so much for all of your helpful videos and great website that is both helpful and cool!!! You have helped me so much in my Spanish 5 Class in the 11th grade!! Your help is very great and your students are lucky to have you as their teacher!! Thanks again and best of luck in the future!!
~E.Gaither