Señor Jordan's Spanish Videos » Blog Archive » 01 Presente Progresivo / Present Progressive

01 Presente Progresivo / Present Progressive

Posted by Señor Jordan on Feb 14, 2011 in -AR, -ER, -IR, conjugation, grammar, present, regular, verbs, year 1 |

Hola. In this video lesson, I decided to tackle the present progressive in Spanish.  The present progressive is basically telling that something is happening right now.  We’ll use a form of estar and then the verbs slightly changed afterwards.  Watch the video for more information!

Let me know if you have any questions, comments or suggestions below.

I hope this video is helpful!

¡Gracias!

estar:

sustantivos (nouns)
el ajedrez - chess
el correo electrónico – email
el golf - golf
el libro – book
el sillón – arm chair
el vóleibol – volleyball
la tarea – homework
la televisión – tv
las chicas – girls
los señores – gentlemen, men
los hermanos – brothers; brothers and sisters
un pájaro – bird

verbos (verbs)
ayudar en casa – to help around the house
bailar – to dance
barrer el piso – to sweep the floor
cantar - to sing
comer – to eat
cortar el pasto – to cut the grass
dormir – to sleep
hablar por teléfono - to talk on the phone
hacer - to do, to make
jugar - to play
lavar el carro – to wash the car
lavar la ropa – to wash the clothes
lavar los trastes – to wash the dishes
leer - to read
limpiar el baño – to clean the bathroom
limpiar la mesa – to clean the table
mirar – to watch
nadar – to swim
ordenar el cuarto – to clean the room
pasar la aspiradora – to vacuum
poner la mesa – to set the table
sacar la basura – to take out the trash
sacudir los muebles – to dust the furniture
tender la cama – to make the bed
tocar la guitarra – to play [instrument]

otro (other)
con – with
en -in, on
mi(s) – my

Related videos:

1. Present Tense – Estar + emotions
  2. Vocabulario – Los quehaceres (chores)

laura
Feb 19, 2011 at 1:10 pm

i understand the ando/iendo, however i do not understand the andolo or iendola. could you please clarify?

Señor Jordan
Feb 25, 2011 at 9:50 am

Laura,
Sorry if that was confusing. If you haven’t, you might watch the video on Direct Objects that I have. In that video, I explain that we use ‘it’ and ‘them’ in Spanish with the words: lo, la, los, and las.

Those words in the video go before the entire verb phrase. So…
for example:
I wash the dishes. –> (yo) Lavo los trastes.
I wash them (the dishes) –> (yo) Los lavo.

We eat pizza. –> (Nosotros) Comemos la pizza.
We eat it (the pizza). –> (Nosotros) La comemos.

So in this video, I was repeating information and didn’t need to say: ‘washing THE DISHES” or “making THE BED”
I could say “washing them” or “making it”

So I could say:

Está tendiéndo la cama. –> I am making the bed (right now).
or I could change ‘la’ to it
La está tendiendo. -> I am making it [the bed] (right now).
or I could attach ‘la’ to tendiendo because in Spanish, we just can.
Está tendiéndola. -> I am making it [the bed] (right now).

So for:
Está poniendo la mesa -> He/she is setting the table (right now)
La está poniendo” or “Está poniéndola” would be “He/she is setting it [the table] (right now)”

Notice, when we add: lo/la/los/las to the end of -ando o -iendo, we add an accent mark to keep the emphasis in the same place.

I hope that clears up the confusion!

-Sr. J

Ana Sahagún
Mar 16, 2011 at 5:53 am

¡Señor Jordan! Se te olvidó el acento en la palabra teléfono en la explicación. ¿Qué te pasó? Te ves muy triste y estas hablando muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuy despacio. ¡Por favor!

Saludos de parte de la clase

(Bailey, Jessie, Marshall, Taylor, Katie, Sr. Tucker, Eric, Tal, Gianna, Steven, Eric López, Summer, Itcel, Justin y Michael) :(

VISHESH CHUGH
Jun 21, 2011 at 6:01 am

hola sr. jordan. you r really a fabulous person n quite friendly too. i hve completed my basic level n movin fwd to another level . how should i go bout it and how many verbs should i learn coz i really wanna master dis language. Por favor.

Joseph
Jul 4, 2011 at 6:53 am

Hi Senor Jordan,
Awesome video! I was working on the Present progressive during the final weeks of school and some students had a bit of a hard time understanding. I remembered your site and let the students check it out. They came back the next day and finally figured it out! I really enjoy your videos and my kids love watching them, they always get siked up when I tell them “Senor Jordan segment coming up”. I’m sure you could probably publish these and make tons of money since they are so easy to understand and so helpful but I really do hope you keep these free for us teachers who have no budget and no money from our districts to spend on extra supplies. YOU ROCK!

John
Aug 25, 2011 at 3:50 pm

Hola!! I am a junior in high school this year going into spanish 2. i jsut finished spanish 1 and i was not too good at it. i start school on wednesday and would just like to refresh my mind of everything and be good to go in my spanish 2 class. do you have any tips or specific videos i can watch so that i can do so? and do you know anything that i need to nkow for it? thanks

Elizabeth
Apr 30, 2012 at 12:51 pm

Senor Jordan,
I just wanted to thank you for putting those little captions in English under whatever you say. It helps me understand what you are saying. Thank you for these great videos!
Elizabeth

Vishesh Chugh
Jun 8, 2012 at 1:40 pm

Hola sr.jordan

Senor
Your videos are amazing but please upload a few videos of future tense as i have my examinations in july. Please respond to my mails.

luke vizzoni
Jan 29, 2013 at 4:41 pm

I like your shirt’

Adalia del Fuego
May 3, 2013 at 11:26 am

Me gusta tu camisa. =)

Gogo
Jul 30, 2013 at 8:59 am

¡Hola, Señor Jordan!

You made a great video again! After watching it, I have a question.
In this video lesson, there is an example Q&A as follows.

Q: ¿Las chicas están poniendo la mesa?

A: Alicia sí está poniéndola, pero Dolores está hablando por teléfono.

What does “sí” mean here, “really”, “indeed”, “herself”, “yes”, or else? Why do you add the word “sí” here? To emphasize Alicia’s action?

Por favor!

Christiane
Aug 7, 2013 at 6:40 pm

Indeed. Please remember that languages are not mirror images of one another, sometimes we do not need to translate every word. Buena suerte.